The Ardwick and Ancoats Dispensary was established in 1823. The Grade II-listed building eventually moved to 94 Great Mill Street, Ancoats, where it has been ever since.
In its heyday, the Dispensary served as a medical treatment centre for the local community. Sadly, the building was abandoned in 1989, and in 2011, The Victorian Society listed it as one of 10 most at risk buildings in England and Wales.
In 2012, its demolition was proposed, and at this point, a group of local residents set up the Ancoats Dispensary Trust.
The building is an emotional touchstone for Mancunians. It was at the centre of Manchester’s 19th Century Industrial Revolution, and its literary and artistic connections are well-documented. Elizabeth Gaskell referenced the building, and LS Lowry’s Ancoats Hospital Outpatients’ Hall, an image of the inside of the Dispensary, is on display at the Whitworth Art Gallery.